Thursday, 14 March 2013

Every Flavour Rolls for Red Nose Day

I had a really brilliant idea three weeks ago. It involved making 36 bread rolls for Dan's school on Red Nose Day. Each roll would have a different flavour - and, just like the Every Flavour Beans in Harry Potter, not all would be pleasant.


Well, that was three weeks ago. Now I've just spent the entire day making it happen I'm not quite sure how I allowed such an insane thought to become reality. Still they're finished! All that's left is to wrap each one, number it, and put its identity in a sealed envelope marked with a corresponding number. That way, no 9 year old will know whether they're about to sink their teeth into a yummy snack or a complete nightmare. What do you mean, cruel?

One roll is plain - to show the children the basis for all the rolls, and one is plain with red food colouring added: the Red Nose Roll.

Method
I made three lots of dough as given in the basic white bread recipe, so that the second lot was put to rise half an hour after the first, and the third half an hour after that. Yes, I know, very long-winded, but doing the fillings was quite tricky and if I'd just made one lot of dough using 1.5k of flour, the rising and proving times for the rolls would have been all over the place. This way I was able to control them.

After each dough had risen for two hours, I divided it into 12 rolls incorporating a different secret ingredient into each: just a small amount that would be easily kneaded in, but enough so the hapless child will get a good shot of flavour in one bite. You'll see that there are only 35 rolls - one screw-up across all of these is not so bad, I think.

Secret ingredients
(listed from top left to bottom right, in rows)
Tray 1

Tray 1
Red Nose
White chocolate, roughly chopped
Dark chocolate, roughly chopped
Dried cranberries
Dates
Dried apple
Fresh ginger, grated
Blue cheese
Cheddar cheese
Carrot, chopped, boiled, cooled & drained
Cabbage, as carrot
Cauliflower, as carrot

Tray 2

Tray 2
Black olives, chopped
Roast onion
Roast garlic
Chilli, finely chopped
Mint, finely chopped
Parsley, finely chopped
Coriander, finely chopped
Damson jam
Cinnamon
Curry powder
Pesto
Ground cloves

Tray 3

Tray 3
Plain
Sweetcorn
Tomato ketchup
Turmeric
Instant coffee
French mustard
Branston
Honey
Pepper
Vanilla pod
Strawberry mikshake powder

Result
Red Nose Day is tomorrow, so I'll have to wait and see how these go down. Perhaps the classful of 9 year olds will have more sense than to put any of this lot into their mouths!

Three days later...
By all accounts, the Every Flavour Rolls game was a BIG HIT. All the children ate the roll they ended up with - even the ones with instant coffee and curry powder. Dan says that not a single one went in the bin. Dan has a great class teacher, and she will have run it very well, but I'm so glad that it was such fun. I'm not sure I'd repeat it, because it was a big day of baking. But I can imagine that, with the passage of a bit of time, it might be something to do for the next Red Nose Day.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Having grown up eating piroshki (bread pockets filled with meat and cabbage) passed down from my Mennonite great grandmother, I'd have been all over that cabbage one even at age 9. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cabbage is pretty enticing, I think, Melissa. It's the ground cloves and instant coffee that I'd worry about.

    ReplyDelete