Monday, 13 May 2013

Laughing Cow and pecan bread


OK, I have to be honest. I did not want to make this bread. I have a passionate loathing for processed cheese, and Dan's fondness for 'Laughing Cow "Light" blue cheese spread' is a cause of great confusion to me. But, as I've said before, Dan is the ideas man on this blog; I merely execute his wishes. (Ah, the Executioner, come to finish herself off by inserting processed cheese into bread.)

I expressed my discomfort about Laughing Cow bread to Dan.

He told me that you're not allowed to say you don't like something unless you've tried it. Not in this house. (Oh, petard, hoist me now!)

I said could I please, at least, add something nice to the bread. Like pecan nuts.

He said, ok then.

And so ... Laughing Cow and pecan bread was born. And, you know, Dan's idea wasn't such a bad one. In fact, I pretty much liked it. You'll see from Dan's thumbometer that he is not yet finished making his point. I used the Basic white bread recipe with the following special ingredients.

Special ingredients
3 triangles Laughing Cow 'Light' blue cheese spread
2 big handfuls pecan nuts, roughly chopped

Method
Experience with breads that have gooey stuff in them suggested that this bread was likely only to be good eaten fresh, so I made up a basic white bread dough using just half the usual quantities, then followed the recipe up to the point of punching the air out of it.


Now, roll out the dough into a rough oblong so that the dough is about an inch thick. Sprinkle the whole area with two-thirds of the nuts and pinched out bits from two of the cheese triangles. Fold in half and sprinkle the  rest of the nuts and the cheese over the top of that. Now roll up the dough starting at the narrow end, and shape into a fat torpedo, place on a lightly oiled baking tray, place in a bag to prove a second time, and follow the instructions from here for the basic white bread.

Result
Dan's (not at all biased) thumbometer
Sextuple yum
Well, I never would have guessed it, but I really did quite like the bread. I would have vastly preferred it if there had been bits of gooey Stilton instead of bits of gooey Laughing Cow, but it worked and was especially nice warm. Worked as toast the next day too. A very good bread for children who are attached to that processed stuff.


3 comments: