Wednesday, 4 February 2015

Sugar Honey Ice Tea loaf

Here's a riddle for you. This bread could only have been thought up by a boy aged between 9 and 12. See if you can work out why before reading Dan's explanation in the picture caption (it's what he said on a video but the stupid computer can't now open them from my over-engineered phone ... ruddy upgrades).

'So, we're going to make the Sugar, Honey, Ice Tea bread.
Put the first letter of each word together and you'll get the joke.'

Strewth!

Anyhow, I was quite keen to make our own iced tea for this, but Dan was insistent that we should use the Lipton's Ice Tea that he likes to drink. The peach flavoured version was the only one in the shop when we went looking, so that's what we used. (It is very delicious stuff. I prefer the lemon flavour chilled to nearly ice on a very hot day.) I'm sure there are other brands.

I used Paul Hollywood's excellent cholla recipe from How To Bake for the quantities.

Ingredients
500g strong bread flour
10g salt
10g caster sugar
15g runny honey
10g quick yeast
30g butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
230 ml Lipton's peach ice tea

Method
The usual thing:
  • flour in large bowl
  • add salt, sugar and honey on one side of the bowl
  • add yeast on other side of bowl
  • add butter and eggs into well in the middle of the flour
  • add half the ice tea, begin mixing in using a circular motion with your hand, and keep adding ice tea just until you have a lumpy dough that is not soggy - you may not need all the liquid; you may need more.
Knead the dough for 5 to 8 minutes, until it is soft, smooth and elastic. See videos 8 and 9 in Toast From Scratch for Dan's demonstration of kneading techniques. Then follow the usual steps as for the Basic White Bread. Brush the top with milk or egg before baking.

Dan's Thumbometer:
Double yum
Result
You'll be relieved to know that the loaf did not live up to its name. Instead, it turned out to be a wonderfully well-risen, crusty loaf. As you'd expect from a brioche-type recipe, the crumb was soft and properly delicious. It never ceases to amaze me how the original flavour of any liquid that goes into bread tends to disappear in the baking. If I hadn't known about the peach flavour I don't think I would have noticed it, although it was definitely very slightly there. This improved the bread for Dan, though not for me. If I were to make this recipe for myself  I think I'd use sweetened Earl Grey with lemon for the ice tea.

No surprise on the thumbometer.

6 comments:

  1. Hi I just saw the bed time bread on Mel and Sue and I was wondering if there was any chance of you posting a recipe? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Emily. Here is the blog recipe for the rolls: http://amazingbreadfactory.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/bedtime-snack-rolls.html

    And here is the recipe they put on the programme web page: http://www.itv.com/melandsue/recipes/chorizo-and-cheese-rolls

    Good luck making them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, sorry to bother you again but I was just wondering if I could pick your brains?
    I've only been blogging for a few months so I'm still quite unsure of some things so I was wondering how you added the labels to your blog page?
    I wanted to put my book reviews into categories so I feel that this is the best way.
    Thank you

    Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Emily, only just seen this. If your blog is also on blogger, then 'labels' is one of the gadgets offered in the layout area on the design page. I can't remember how I set it up now, as it's quite a while ago. But you should find it there. If you're using a different online blogging provider, then I'm afraid I don't know where you'd find the feature. Good luck. P

      Delete
  4. Yes I am using Blogger thank you :)
    Sorry I am only just seeing this ;)

    ReplyDelete